Alonso demands apology from Red Bull boss Horner
Formula 1’s off track dramas have continued in the built-up to the Belgian Grand Prix this weekend with a row erupting between outgoing McLaren driver Fernando Alonso and Red Bull boss Christian Horner.
According to The Sun, Alonso has launched a “furious attack” on Horner and demanded an apology over his remarks about the Spanish driver.
Horner denied claims Red Bull had offered Alonso a drive after he announced he was leaving McLaren and said that Spaniard “tended to cause a bit of chaos” at his teams.
Speaking ahead of the weekend’s race Alonso bit back.
“One, they never worked with me,” he said. “And secondly they’ve been chasing me for five or six occasions in the last seven years.
“It has been weird, it has been unfair to me. I wrote to Christian after his comments this summer, he apologised by email, and hopefully he’ll apologise again this weekend.”
Website Race Fans reports that Horner has since responded, once again denying RedBull had offered Alonso a deal.
He described him as a great driver, but added: “Fernando doesn’t fit in our thoughts and our future so there was never any offer. Why Fernando’s chosen to say that I’m not sure, I’m not sure whom he had the offer from.”
Sainz and Alonso scoff at Ricciardo ‘bulls***’
The tension with Red Bull won’t be alleviated by Alonso’s behaviour in Friday’s press conference. He and Renault driver Carlos Sainz could be heard sniggering after Red Bull driver Daniel Ricciardo tried to deny claims he had quit the team because he was fed up with the preferential treatment given to fellow driver Max Verstappen.
“According to Formula 1 fans on social media, Alonso and Sainz shared a subdued giggle on the press conference dais alongside Ricciardo after light-heartedly suggesting the 29-year-old from Perth hadn’t told the truth when he said his decision to join Renault was not motivated by the rising influence of Verstappen,” reports Fox Sports.
It says one of the drivers whispered a comment in Spanish, which could be translated as: “How well the bastard bulls***s”.
Force India keep prize money, lose points
After being bought out of administration earlier this month the Force India F1 team will start the Belgian Grand Prix with no points, although the other teams have agreed to let it keep the prize money it had won this season.
The team was bought by a consortium led by Lawrence Stroll, father of Williams driver Lance, but because the buyers only purchased the team’s physical assets they are essentially a new entrant.
“The governing FIA announced on Thursday that Sahara Force India had become Racing Point Force India after an asset sale by administrators to a consortium led by Canadian billionaire Lawrence Stroll.
“The switch means the old team, that was co-owned by previous principal Vijay Mallya and India’s Sahara Group, effectively ceased to exist with the loss of all their 2018 constructor points,” reports the Daily Mail.
However, Autosport says that the new team will be allowed to keep the prize money it has won this season.
Schumacher ‘cries at natural beauty’
The family of stricken former F1 king Michael Schumacher have revlead that he “often cries” when he sees natural beauty, reports the Daily Mirror.
Schumacher suffered head injuries in a skiing accident in 2013 and since then updates on his health have been few and far between.
But news that the 49-year-old, who is being cared for at his family home on the banks of Lake Geneva, still has emotions is “encouraging” says the paper.
In an interview with Paris Match magazine a relative revealed: “When you put him in his wheelchair facing the beautiful panorama of the mountains overlooking the lake, Michael sometimes cries.